Human Resources Board of Chilmark
March 7, 2017 APPROVED MINUTES
Present: Jennie Greene, Chair, Bruce Golden, Max McCreery, Steven Flanders,
Not present: Steve Lewenberg, Tim Carroll, Executive Secretary, Chuck Hodgkinson, Employee Representative
Public/ Board or Comm. Members: Jim Malkin, Selectmen’s Representative
Staff: Jennifer Christy, Admin. Asst., Melanie Becker, Treasurer
Meeting called to order at 5:02PM
- Classification & Compensation Study:
- The Board members met and discussed the draft classification and compensation study submitted by Mary Aicardi of the UMASS Edward Collins Center.
- Mr. McCreery made a motion to recommend to the Board of Selectmen to withdraw the article for salary increases and appoint a subcommittee to develop a final recommendation by October 1, 2017. The motion was seconded by Mr. Flanders. Mr. McCreery stated he is uncomfortable to make a recommendation that is not supported by a presentation by Ms. Aicardi.
- Mr. Flanders stated his need to be fair to employees and fair to the taxpayers.
- Mr. Greene suggested the changes that could be made in the fall could be retroactive.
- Mr. Golden stated his agreement with the motion by Mr. McCreery.
- The motion was brought to a vote and approved unanimously.
- Ms. Greene requested that a subcommittee be formed comprised of Jennie Greene, Bruce Golden, Ellen Biskis, Jim Malkin and Chuck Hodgkinson.
- Ms. Greene discussed expanding the steps and grades. Ms. Greene stated that longevity needs to be reviewed as well.
- Mr. McCreery asked if Mary Aicardi would be invited to speak to the Board. Ms. Greene stated she would arrange Ms. Aicardi to come to the Board meeting on April 6, 2017.
- Ms. Becker stated her concern with a sixteen step compensation plan, the need for a formal process for employee input, the need to address some problems of missing information, and the importance of allowing staff to provide feedback on April 6, 2017.
- The minutes from March 2, 2017 were approved.
- Topics not reasonable anticipated by the Chairperson at the time of posting:
- Next Meetings:
Meeting adjourned at 5:21PM